Slinky Walking Speed vs. Angle
This experiment attempted to find three things: the critical angle for Slinky walking, the terminal velocity of Slinky walking, and the critical angle for Slinky sliding.
1. A piece of plywood was placed horizontal on a desk.
2. The angle was then increased by placing books under the plywood.
3. The critical angle for Slinky walking, or the angle that allowed the Slinky to walk down the board, was determined.
This angle was found to be 24 degrees.
4. The angle at which the Slinky could not walk properly and slid down the board, or the critical angle for Slinky sliding was then found.
This angle was 41 degrees.
5. The Slinky walking velocity was then found by timing how long it took the Slinky to walk down the board. This was tested at several different angles.
note: I found that the plastic Slinky Jr. was the most reliable for walking experiments.
See the Results
Back to the Slinky home page